These are wonderful images and photographs of Mount Anville House in former times. Mount Anville House and its substantial estate, was formerly the home of William Dargan, Ireland’s most famous railway builder and all round entrepreneur. When it was purchased by the Sacred Heart Order, it then became the Convent for generations of Sacred Heart sisters and Mount Anville Pupils.
Rear view of the house which was originally called “Anneville House”. The estate was called “Mount Anneville”.
Front view of Mt. Anville house. William Dargan extended the house and had the tower built so he could enjoy the view. Queen Victoria climbed the tower when she visited on 25th August 1853 on the occasion of the great exhibition on the lawn of Leinster House
Artists drawing of back of Mount Anville, 1864. The Sacred heart nuns bought the house in 1863. ( photo on Left)
This gate is one of four gates given to William Dargan the year he was President of the R.D.S
This gate and railings were also a gift to William Dargan from the R.D.S. (above photo photo on left)
The style of architecture of mount Anville House is Victorian Italiante, although its main porch is Grecian Doric ( above photo on right)
The entrance gate was designed by Jonh Shipton Mulvaney. He also designed the three waterfront sailing clubs in Dun Laoghaire. (above photo on left)
The house is used by the Sacred Heart Order and Mount Anville School for meetings, receptions and other events. The Past Pupils’ Office is also in Mount Anville House. The House was recently visited by former President of Ireland and Past Pupil Mary Robinson, when she met Senior School pupils, prior to delivering this year’s Barat Lecture in the School.
Gate Lodge. Also designed by John Shipton Mulvaney.(above photo on left)
Rear view of Mt. Anville in the snow.
These pictures form part of an Architecture project by Mount Anville Montessori Past Pupil and TCD Student, Tommy McCormack. Tommy’s mother Bronach (Kelly) is a Mount Anville Past Pupil, as is his grandmother Ethel (Hederman) Kelly.”
Heart Benevolent Fund is a confidential support network of former past pupils
of the Sacred Heart and it was founded in the 1930’s. In the last year we have
helped approximately 48 cases and paid out a little over €100,000. The needs of
those helped are varied and the age range is from 19 to 90. In some cases the
assistance is long term in others temporary.
Benevolent Fund which is a registered charity raises money by running events
throughout the year and through donations, bequests and standing orders. The
Society of the Sacred Heart, Mount Anville School, AMASC, The Cork Branch and
the Society of the Sacred Heart in Scotland are also supportive.
The next fundraising events are a coffee morning
at 20 Ardilea Downs, Mount Anville Road, Dublin 14 on Friday 7th
September a Bridge Morning on Thursday 18th October, at The George
Yacht Club, Dun Laoghaire and a Gardening Talk in October (date to be
interested in supporting the Benevolent Fund in anyway should contact Gwen McKeon
at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone